This is gonna be a quick post! If you buy a used or new car from a dealer in California they should not let you leave without proof of insurance (this information I found on Google) On the other hand if you buy a car in a private sale (from someone else), the seller probably will not take the car too much about your insurance. It is your responsibility. Always remember it is illegal to drive an uninsured car in California and you should insure your car as soon as possible. The minimum state requirements for insurance are here.
When I got home after buying my firsrt car, I was looking for auto insurance. One of my friends recommends me Geico (it is the second-largest insurance company in the US). You can insure your car completely online. It took me less than 15 minutes. However, when I added my debit card and wanted to confirm the whole process, the payment was denied. After few moments I got an email from Geico that I should call them. I called them immediately and talked to some guy from the support department. He just said they need to validate my Canadian driver’s license and asked me several questions. In the end, he said your insurance is approved and the auto insurance is valid from today.
- VIN (Seach on Title)
- California Address
- Some Driver’s License (I provided my valid driver’s license from Canada and it probably saves a lot of money because they recognize history from Canada. I am not sure you will able to insure your car with a driver’s license outside from the US or Canada)
- Debit or Credit Card
You don’t need:
- Title on your name (they will ask you register car to your name in 30 days)
- Geico is good because according to your state they will offer you only auto insurance that meets minimum state requirements. The lowest cost I got was $49 per month (trust or not it is cheap) However I chose more expensive insurance with higher coverage. My monthly cost is $62
(this is mandatory in California)
When you hit someone or something and it is your fault.
- Bodily Injury Liabiality – $50,000/$100,000 (
- Property Damage Liability – $25,000
Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist Coverage (you don’t have to have this in California)
When some drivers without insurance or with low coverage hit you this insurance should help you cover your medical bills and sometimes the damage cost of your car.
- Uninsured Motorist & Underinsured Motorist – $15,000/$30,000
Additional Coverage: (I don’t have)
Due to I have an old and cheap car I don’t wanna spend money on additional insurance. However, when I buy a new car or car less than 5 years old I will use the coverage below.
Comprehensive Coverage (you don’t have to have this in California)
Basically, the comprehensive insurance cover situation like theft, fire, hail or vandalism.
If you are involved in some accident and it is your fault this insurance will cover repair costs for your own car.
I am glad I pay only $62 per month. I would like to know what is the average cost for Americans with long insurance history but I don’t think so they pay far less than me! When I was calling the guy from Geico support I asked him if the insurance will help me build the credit history and he told me it is a different system. However, if you drive without accidents and fines your insurance should be cheaper!